|October 22, 2018 - November 16, 2018|
|Salary Range:||$22.45 per hour (starting rate per labor agreement)|
|Benefits:||Paid Time Off, 401a, Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance; Life Insurance, Paid Leave, EAP, Flex Spending Account, Retiree Health Savings Account, etc.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Community Planning & Development|
|Description:||Under the supervision of the Principal Planner, this position performs technical, administrative, and research tasks related to planning, landscape architecture, and zoning issues. Assists in reviewing developmental plans to ensure compliance with zoning ordinances, subdivision control ordinances, the Master Plan, and land development standards.|
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
|Duties:||1. Reviews site plans for compliance with applicable ordinances, regulations, and policies.|
2. May be assigned to assist the Planning Commission and/or other entities with planning issues. May serve as primary staff to boards or commissions in an administrative and professional advisory capacity.
3. Reviews planning applications to determine compliance with Township requirements. Prepares staff reports as assigned for commissions and/or other entities.
4. Researches and drafts reports, ordinances, and correspondence pertaining to planning issues. Gathers and assembles necessary data and assists other staff in preparing reports and conducting research.
5. Prepares meeting agendas, maps, charts, graphs, and various technical reports, and attends meetings as requested and assigned. May give presentations and answer questions at meetings.
6. May assist with environmental planning activities including groundwater protection, wetland, and floodplain regulations.
7. Explains, interprets and provides guidance regarding all applicable planning issues to architects, engineers, contractors, developers, property owners, the public, and Township officials. Provides assistance, responds to requests, and resolves complaints.
8. Maintains cooperative relationships with peer agencies and other governmental units to coordinate planning functions. Keeps abreast of professional developments in the planning field and attends conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
9. Prepares regular status reports, completes special projects, and submits forms and reports as required.
10. Performs related work as required.
|Qualifications:||• A Bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent, in urban planning, landscape architecture, or a related field. |
• Minimum one year of experience in planning, landscape architecture, or site plan review preferred. A Master’s degree in urban planning may substitute for experience.
• A State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
• Knowledge and understanding of applicable state and local land-use ordinances and regulations.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal planning, landscape architecture, and land-use issues.
• Knowledge of the practices of plan review and site inspection.
• Knowledge of municipal operations as they relate to the development and growth of the Township; general understanding of municipal operations as a whole.
• Skill in interpreting and applying planning guidelines and ordinances.
• Skill in compiling and evaluating planning, land-use, and zoning code guidelines and formulating policy, standards, and service recommendations.
• Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including computers and related software, and the ability to master new technologies.
• Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with developers, residents, elected officials, employees, other governmental and regulatory agencies, and professional contacts.
• Ability to effectively communicate, present ideas and concepts, and make presentations in public forums.
• Ability to travel to various locations.
• Ability to critically assess situations and solve problems; work effectively under stress, within deadlines, and changing work priorities.
MERIDIAN CHARTER TOWNSHIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.