|February 01, 2018 - February 14, 2018|
|Salary Range:||$23.89 per hour or $49,691 annualized salary|
|Benefits:||Medical, dental & vision insurance, 401a, paid leave|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Community Planning & Development|
|Description:||Position posted until filled.|
Under the supervision of the Chief Building Inspector, performs building plan reviews and on-site inspections, working closely with contractors and building owners, determining compliance and enforcing relevant codes and ordinances. Prepares a variety of reports and assists residents with questions regarding related codes.
|Duties:||1. Interprets, administers, and enforces building codes and ordinances in accordance with professional standards. Issues permits and certificates of occupancy. |
2. Conducts on-site inspections of structures under construction and existing buildings and/or additions to ensure conformity to state and local building codes. Examines materials and methods used; assures compliance to all relevant codes, ordinances, rules, regulations, and standards.
3. Reviews and inspects plans and specifications of new buildings or the remodeling of existing buildings for compliance to codes and ordinances. Approves permit applications for construction or remodeling when requirements are met.
4. Seeks voluntary compliance where standards are not met, recommending corrections, issuing violation notices when necessary, and performing re-inspections to determine actions taken to bring the structure into compliance with standards.
5. Performs periodic building inspections and investigates complaints involving violations of minimum acceptable construction, health, safety, and welfare standards. Prepares inspection reports and records; performs re-inspections as necessary.
6. Provides information and advice to owners, contractors, developers, engineers, and architects regarding building code requirements and construction procedures; offers assistance with applying for permits.
7. Notifies applicants of any deficiencies or discrepancies from code and provides follow-up inspections of unsafe structures or sites. If necessary, issues “Stop Work Order” or suspends, cancels, or revokes permits.
8. Maintains cooperative relationships with other departments, peer agencies, private contractors, property owners, architects, and other parties to coordinate building, zoning, and code enforcement functions.
9. Maintains records of permits issued and denied, inspections, complaints and investigations; prepares reports and correspondence.
10. Remains apprised of developments and changes in laws, building products, and techniques. Keeps abreast of professional developments, legal issues, and other current events through continued education and professional growth. Attends conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
Performs related work as required.
|Qualifications:||• A high school diploma or equivalent, with additional vocational training in building trades, engineering techniques, construction technology, or a related field; Associate's Degree and/or Bachelor's Degree in construction-related field a plus.|
• Four or more years experience in the construction trades, construction inspection, or related field.
• Registration by the State of Michigan as a Plan Reviewer and Building Inspector.
• A State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of state and local building codes, ordinances, and related laws.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of plan review, site inspection, and code enforcement.
• Skill in interpreting, applying, and enforcing related codes and ordinances.
• Skill in reviewing and interpreting site plans, building plans, complex construction drawings, and specifications.
• Ability to perform site inspections and visual reviews of permit applications, plans, and drawings.
• Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgement; initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with builders, architects, planners, property owners, the public, other professional contacts, and municipal officials.
• Ability to critically assess situations, solve problems, and work effectively within deadlines and changes in work priorities.
• Ability to work efficiently with limited supervision.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.