Assistant Park Naturalist
|August 19, 2019 - September 27, 2019|
|Salary Range:||$10.75 per hour|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Department:||Parks & Recreation|
|Description:||Seeking qualified self-motivated candidates who enjoy working with children in an outdoor nature setting. A successful candidate will have a passion for nature and a desire to share their knowledge and experience. Experience with instructing children in an educational environment is a priority. Availability to work during summer camp is required. Skilled at leading nature programs and assisting with stewardship tasks. Directly reports to Harris Nature Center Senior Park Naturalist. Must possess excellent communication skills to effectively work with the public.|
1. Communicating clearly, both verbally and in writing.
2. Assists with exhibit preparation and program development.
3. Facilitates interpretive programs for school groups, scouts, and day camp sessions as scheduled on weekends or weekdays.
4. Assist with trail maintenance, park inventories and daily building maintenance.
5. Monitoring of parks and facilities as needed.
6. Will be required to answer the public's questions on the phone and in person.
7. Guide and encourage volunteers in their role at the Harris Nature Center.
8. Daily maintenance duties including, but not limited to: feeding, cleaning and caring for resident animals, their aquariums, outside feeders and plants; cleaning toilets and sinks, sweeping floors and shoveling walks; and filling brochure holders inside and at the trailheads.
Education: Completed college level course work in the areas of biology, botany, zoology and interpretation. College course work in communications, geology, fisheries, forestry and wildlife is recommended. Equivalent experience is acceptable.
1. Ability to cooperate with co-workers in accomplishing work assignments.
2. Ability to work outside and perform moderate physical work.
3. Possess basic knowledge of computer applications such as Microsoft Office.
4. Person must be self-motivated, organized and goal-oriented.
Physical Requirements: This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements:
1. Ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
2. Ability to use hand tools to trim, cut, dig, plant and spread seed, as needed.
3. Ability to work in natural areas including wetlands, woods, and weeds.
4. Ability to stoop, bend and walk on uneven surfaces outdoors and perform standard full range of motion activities.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.