Engineering Intern Position
|January 24, 2018 - April 15, 2018|
|Salary Range:||10.00 per hour|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Department:||Public Works & Engineering|
|Description:||Under the supervision of the Chief Engineer, Project Engineer, or Drafting Manager, performs engineering support duties such as drafting, construction inspection, and survey work. Reviews various plans and blueprints, maintains infrastructure maps, and records and assists in organizing and implementing programs and projects. |
|Duties:||An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.|
1. Assists in drafting engineering plans and drawings for public improvements. Prepares drawings of both present and finalized construction projects and specifications.
2. Assembles data, maintains records, and prepares and maintains reports as required. Maintains technical records, construction drawings, site plans, plats, and other documents.
3. Inspects construction projects for compliance with plans and specifications.
4. Updates and maintains a variety of plans and other records related to the physical layout of Township utilities. Assists developers, contractors, and the public with accessing and reading maps and other information.
5. Performs special projects as requested.
6. Participates in field surveys for public improvements, such as water and sewer, pathways and sidewalks, or other public improvements. Operates survey equipment and establishes grades and measurements.
7. Performs related work as required.
|Qualifications:||Requirements include the following:|
• Enrollment in an engineering program at an accredited college or university.
• A valid State of Michigan Driver's License.
• Knowledge of surveying, construction inspection, and civil engineering practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of public works construction methods and materials.
• Knowledge of computer-aided drawing, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
• Skill in creating maps and drawings, estimating material needs, and maintaining records.
• Skill in assembling and analyzing data and preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
• Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
• Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including computers and related software, and the ability to master new technologies.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications and construction standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear and view and create documents. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently travel to other locations. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl; or sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects of moderate or heavy weight.
The employee is regularly exposed to wet, humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles including raw sewage; and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office and is often loud while in the field.